Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Who is Steve Young?

You all might think that my blog revolves around BYU football. . . .maybe it does. . . but this is just too good not to post.

On Saturday Joseph and I attended the BYU football game (bad game, so don't ask). As we sat in our regular seats I found myself listening to the couple sitting next to me. Obviously they were on a date due to the semi awkward conversation, I'm going to guess a first date based on the distance between the two of them. He patiently explained the rules of the game tapping me on the shoulder from time to time to ask. . . "now BYU is in the white correct?" and "who is that #10 out there?" Because he is a man I assume he knows the rules of football, however he was not up to date on the players, so must not watch too much football. His date on the other hand had probably never seen a football before in her life. His explanation of the rules went on and on throughout the game and then I noticed the conversation changing. He started telling his date who the famous BYU football players were. . . .Jim McMahon . . .Ty Detmer. . . John Beck. She sat there totally perplexed, apparently she had never heard these names before. And then he mentioned Steve Young, where upon she said "Oh he played football for BYU?"

I'm sorry, are you serious? How can you go to BYU and not know who Steve Young is? What have your parents been teaching you at home? In my home we were taught early about BYU football. My dad would sing us the Cougar fight song as a lullaby. Posters of BYU sports plastered our bedroom walls. Steve Young's picture is next to our family picture and the picture of the prophet. I was in shock at her lack of knowledge. . . I guess that's why she came to college though. . . to learn about BYU football.

5 comments:

Emily Leue said...

see, this is why i've been saying all along they need to have BYU football knowledge part of the interview/admission process. some people just don't deserve to be there.

Anonymous said...

That's pretty entertaining. Even I know who Steve Young is and I never even went to BYU. Just to give you some hope...there are two girls in my YW class who think of nothing else during the football season. Every Sunday, its a challenge to get them to stop talking about the stats of every player (no joke...stats...at church) from the game the day before. It always makes me laugh though.

marlowe said...

Amen, Sista ... (and why did you not come out and stay with us for the BYU/Air Force game even though it, too, was a bad one ... my feelings are not hurt... *sniff*... and there's always CSU)

Sarah and Trevor said...

Sarah will probably be mad at me for this but...OH PLEASE!!! You can't be mad at that girl just because she doesn't worship idles and false gods like you. She wasnt so dumb that she had never heard of steve young. Maybe we should be appalled at how much you dont know about everything else because all you pay attention to is BYU football, which has no affect on our growth and development here on earth and no benefit in the life after. Im pretty sure the angels who stand as sentinels will not ask who steve young played for.
Okay Im not really that big of a jerk. I just like to argue and see if I can win. let me hear your rebuttal, bring it. But I am serious about the idol worshiping, talk about your golden calf.

Ashlee Smith said...

Wow. Seriously sheltered! I'm sure you know how much I know about BYU (NOTHING!!), and I know equally as much about football... and even I know who Steve Young is! That's hilarious!