Sunday, January 11, 2009
The Safest Place on Earth
As most of you may know, Joseph and I love BYU sporting events. We love watching them whether on TV or in person (mostly in person). We love cheering for them, or as a true cougar might say we bleed blue. Recently we used our all sports passes to go to the BYU vs Wake Forest basketball game that was held in the Marriott Center in Provo. We had spent the day in with Joseph's family at his grandmother's funeral and rushed to the game hoping to catch tip-off. We pulled up to the Marriott Center just as the game began, yet we still had to park and walk the 2 blocks from the parking lot to the game. Hastily we jumped out of the car and literally ran to the game. The game was very exciting. BYU recorded it's second largest crowd in basketball history. We had to elbow our way to some open seats, but we sat excitedly scrunched between sweaty loud fans. Due to the fact that it was blazing hot we all took off our coats and laid them under the seats to not only be a bit cooler but to also be more mobile for our cheering abilities. After the game (a sad, but close loss) we trudged our way back to the car with my dad and youngest sister (who had parked only a few spots away) enjoying each other's company and sulking our loss. As we approached the parking lot Joseph began digging in his pockets for our car keys. Pants pockets. . . nope. Coat pockets (there are many). . . .nope. At this point we began panicking that we had lost our keys somewhere in the vast Marriott Center and would have to walk the 2 blocks back to search for our keys. Luckily I had a spare set in my purse so we decided we would drive up to the Marriott Center or call tomorrow to see if they had come across our lost keys. I gracefully tossed the keys to Joseph who began trying to unlock the car, now from only feet away with the key "fob." However, the lights never flashed informing us that the car was unlocked. Joseph pressed the button many times as we said our goodbyes to my family and as we approached the car. When we came within a foot or so we noticed that the dashboard lights inside the car were on, and the car was warm to the touch. We became skeptical that this was actually our car. We checked the license plate. . . correct. Joseph opened his door and we realized that in our rush to get to the game on time WE (so as not to hurt Joseph's feelings, although he WAS the driver) had just jumped out of the car not only forgetting the keys but forgetting to turn off the car. Not only had we left our car running for 3 hours, but we had left it running unlocked in an unsupervised parking lot. How it was still there when we returned we'll never know. I guess we're just lucky to live in "the safest place on earth!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hilarious, I tell you. Just what I needed on this very bleak Monday morning. I mean, not funny about how scary that could have been but so funny because I grew up with that kid!
I love that you told everyone the greatest story I've heard in like a year. Congrats! :)
No Freaking way. You are so lucky!!
That's SO great. Do you wonder how many people walked by and said, "If I weren't such a good person..."
Cause that's what we've been saying about the wrong guy's bank statement we've been getting for like five years.
Haha...hilarious! At least you had a warm car after walking the freezing cold blocks. Sounds like Joseph has pregnancy brain. :) jk
We need to do lunch soon!
Aight, Jen. I wasn't going to say anything, but yes, I know you're dirty little secret. And dirty it is. I can't find your email address anywhere otherwise I would email you so I'm putting this in your hands. If you wanna come clean to your favorite sister-in-law, I'm all ears. And I promise not to give you lip. Oh, and I'm very sad about the football team. I guess he's not going to take state.
Post a Comment