Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Lubble

Today marked Ruby's second visit to a dentist.  Incredible foresight for me to become a hygienist don't you think? 

When Ruby was about a week old I noticed a few little bumps on the inside of her lower lip.  For all my hygiene ladies. . . I was just keeping fresh on my intra-oral exams :)  At first I thought they were three tiny mucoceles (tiny fluid filled sacks that occur when a salivary duct becomes blocked).  But over time one grew larger and larger until it was almost the size of a small pea and was not fluid filled but similar to lip tissue.  Joseph worried while I kept an eye on it and measured it occasionally with my probe.  I talked to Ruby's pediatrician about it and we finally came to the conclusion that since teething time was upon us and it was continuing to grow that it might be time to have it removed. 

And so today we did just that.  Ruby saw Dr. Manny who was awesome and got her little lubble (lip bubble) removed.  The Dr. and I figure it is some type of fibroma and it is off to the lab for a diagnosis.  I made Joseph come for moral support although he refused to come into the treatment room.  Ruby screamed her guts out and cried big tears and struggled to free herself from the papoose board, but other than that did great.  I was worried that I would have a hard time. . . but I was great!  (Big sigh of relief).  I tried to refrain from getting in the Dr.'s way to see what he was doing.  Joseph on the other hand had to walk outside a couple of times to be out of earshot of Ruby's crying.   Overall everyone survived.  Joseph is deleting the memory by watching national signing day, Ruby is down for a LONG nap, and I'm grateful for the background I have in hygiene that helped us get through this experience with no tears (from the parents).

1 comment:

e. said...

Awe, I'm crying right now! Poor little girl. Glad it's over and glad you're so brave!