Monday, July 21, 2008

You're Beautiful

Sorry for the delay. Yes Joseph did get his tonsils removed, but I have been having so much fun taking care of him, sitting around watching movies and taking multiple naps a day that I have neglected to write of his adventure.


When we arrived at the surgical clinic they took Joseph back into the prep room where he was clothed in a beautiful green hospital gown (I took a picture with my phone, but can't seem to figure out how to get it onto the computer). While he was waiting for the doctor to finish another surgery they hooked him up to an IV, pumping a Gatorade like fluid into his body. This was not pleasant. Joseph was green when I walked in. Hungry Joseph mixed with needles is not a good combo. Anyone who knows Joseph knows that hunger itself is not good mixed with Joseph. He struggled for a few minutes trying so hard not to pass out, but soon had to give in to the urge. At this point he started shaking violently trying to fight off the inevitable darkness. . . he quickly came to and immediately got color back in his face. Sigh, the worst is over. . .


Minutes later Joseph was wheeled into the surgery room and I was shunned to the reception area where I was to sit nervously and worry. Don't worry I sat and peacefully read a book. It wasn't 20 minutes later when the doctor walked out and said that Joseph did great. Now the real fun was to begin. I entered the recovery room just seconds after Joseph opened his eyes. . . I must admit he was hilarious. After telling every nurse, "You're beautiful" and shouting that he "felt great" and was going to ride his bike home Joseph agreed to attempt to drink some water. Not so great the first few tries. With a numb tongue all he could manage to do was squirt the water out his nose. It was not long before he was gulping down juice as he laughed at all of the patients being wheeled in, not yet recovered from their anesthesia induced comas. One pudding, 3 glasses of water, a liter from the IV, a juice box, and multiple hilarious trips to the bathroom later, we wheeled Joseph to the car and returned home.

(Joseph right after his surgery, still calling everything beautiful.)


He is now doing great. Throat is still sore, but what can you expect when half of your throat has been cut out. Oh and we're still waiting to hear if he now has a "sexy voice."

2 comments:

e. said...

Yeah! He always was funner on drugs :) Thanks for the B-day call. Meant a lot to me.

Erin said...

How's the voice coming? Did you get him to actually SHUT UP for a while?