I am finally taking my last class at BYU. . . .Functional Anatomy. What does that mean? Well to put it simple, we memorize all of the muscles, and bones and how they connect and what movements they create. I must admit I have no motivation left in my body. . . not a single ounce. I have cried over this class because despite my hating to go and my decision to just "pull a C" I cannot keep my obsessive compulsive personality from kicking in and making me strive to get an A. I guess that is a good thing.
So there are a couple of interesting things that have happened so far. First, I have a cadaver lab once a week, where I get to study muscles on dissected people. I actually really love that part (despite the horrible smell that I can't seem to wash off my hands. . . yes I do wear gloves). My TA is a non-member, which is fine, but he tries his hardest to be as crude and disrespectful as possible. At first it was kinda funny, but now he just looks dumb to everyone.
Today in my lecture part of the class we were learning about bones, their classification, structure, bone diseases, you get the picture. Suddenly a slide came up that said "WARNING, if you have a weak stomach you may want to look away." I love blood and guts, so I perked up in my chair as did most of the people in my class. My teacher proceeded to show disgusting broken bones (you know the kind that stick out of peoples legs, I won't go into anymore detail). Suddenly from the back of the room some people started gasping and we all turned around to see one boy having a seizure in his chair. He had passed out cold. It was kinda scary, but a little funny at the same time. As we sat there during the rest of the slides I thought to myself, "buddy if you can't handle pictures of blood and guts, you're in the wrong major." So what have I learned from this? Nothing, except that maybe going to class for the next few weeks might end up being a little more interesting than I thought.
3 comments:
Whoa! Gross. Poor guy, I bet he was humiliated. I can't wait to hear about this from Zak.... it wasn't Zak was it? Naw.
You know, in my glory days at BYU I had this really old stake president and he love to tell really graphic stories from the pulpit and one day a good friend of mine did the same thing! He was way worried that he a brain tumor or something but apparently it's pretty common for your brain to induce a seizure due to the lack of blood flow. Sound like I know what I'm talking about right? And I didn't even have to take Meta-Physically Derived Humanity Anatomy or whatever your class is.
you'll have to tell me all about those last classes that i have to take. func anat sounds sooo much fun. i just love your blog.
Post a Comment